Helpful APA Citation Guidelines
The Truth about APA Paper Formatting
You may be assigned to format your academic paper in the APA citation style. In this case, you should follow specific directions in order to organize your piece of writing according to the established rules.
- 8 ½ x 11″ is the size of paper which you should use.
- Set 1″ margins on all sides.
- Apply ½ inch indentation to the first word of each paragraph.
- Use Times New Roman font, 12 pt.
- Make the entire academic work double-spaced.
- There should be a running head at the top of each page. Use the formatting tools offered by the MS Word to add the mentioned element to each page automatically.
- In order to make a page header/running head, you need to type in page numbers right justified (such symbols as p. or pg. are not to be placed before the page numbers).
- The title of your paper has to be capitalized left justified.
- In case the paper title is very long, the running head should present its shortened form.
Your work should comprise four main sections such as:
- Title Page
It should include the following four key items: your paper title, page header, writer’s name, institutional affiliation and writer’s note. The running head/page header has to be made in the abovementioned manner.
*Keep in mind that in the APA essay format, the words “Running Head” have to be present in the running head/page header section on the title page only. The said phrase should be capitalized and put before your title. Other pages of your paper should not comprise these words in the page header.
The title of your academic work should illustrate its key point. Note that there should not be any abbreviated or vague words in the title.
- A title has to be centered and typed in Times New Roman 12-point font size. Avoid underlining, italicizing or highlighting it in bold.
- A title may be written in one or two lines. However, it should not exceed more than 12 words.
- Apply double spacing to the text presented on the title page as well as to the rest of your writing project organized in the APA format citation mode.
- Do not indicate any of the titles the writer may have, i.e. Ms. or Dr.
- The institutional affiliation means the establishment where the student researched the subject.
- It should start on the next page with a page header.
- The word “Abstract” has to be centered on the first line of the page. No quotation marks are to be used.
- Start writing the summary of your paper on the succeeding line. It should present your topic, the issues you are going to deal with, adopted approaches, obtained results and a concluding statement.
- Your summary should not be more than 250 words long. It should be double-spaced. However, no indentation is to be applied (you can use an APA format template to see how a summary should look like).
- You may help other academicians find your paper in various databases by entering the main keywords relating to your research after the summary. The word “Keywords” should be indented and italicized.
- Start writing it on the next page.
- Begin with the running head.
- Present the title on the following line. Do not make it italicized, underlined or bold.
- Produce an introductory section. Apply indentation.
- The introduction should highlight the subject you are examining and the thesis statement. This section should provide a more detailed description of the matter than the abstract.
- A new chapter should start with the subtitle “Method” that has to be centered and highlighted in bold. It demonstrates the way you have been doing your research.
- Then, another section titled “Results” follows. Its title should be centered and bold. This section presents the obtained results that can be illustrated with the help of tables, graphs, etc.
- Start producing a “Discussion” unit. Make its title bold and centered. Here, you need to decipher your findings.
- Create a coherent conclusion.
- State whether the received results prove your thesis statement.
- Identify the limits set by your research and offer suggestions for undertaking further studies.
**The APA format in text citation pieces are to be provided throughout the body section comprising the author’s name and the year of publication. Do not use page numbers in in text citation APA.
- Start this section on a new page.
- Indicate the title, i.e. “References.” It should be neither italicized not underlined. Avoid using quotation marks.
- The reference page APA should be double-spaced and arranged in the alphabetical order.
- Every resource cited in your work should be referenced properly and presented on this list.